Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Day In The Life of a Food Truck Operator

Last summer, I had the pleasure of sitting down with Nida Rodriguez, owner and operator of 'The Slide Ride.' The Slide Ride is a food truck in Chicago that serves up gourmet sliders like the Bacon Baby Burger, a cheddar cheese certified Angus beef burger, crisp brown sugar bacon with caramelized onions on a sesame bun. I've been anxious to share this article since then and appreciate any given feedback!


 A Day In The Life of a Food Truck Operator

    Nida Rodriguez starts her day at 5:30 in the morning. She heads to a restaurant depot to gather ingredients and tries to be in the kitchen cooking by 6:30 a.m. Around 10 a.m. she and her chef, Josh Ramirez, begin assembling sandwiches to some upbeat music, getting themselves pumped to head out on the streets in their food truck named the 'Slide Ride' and sell, sell, sell.
    One year ago, Rodriguez started researching all of the steps it would take to open, operate and manage her own food truck.
    According to Rodriguez, "A friend of mine that I met at my first job out of college really believed in my dream. They invested in the truck and pushed me along the way."
    She went about starting the business by researching the Los Angeles and New York food truck scene.
    Thinking about the big picture was too overwhelming for her, so she took it one step at a time and just focused on the task at hand.
    "I Always wanted to cook, and decided last year that I was going to leave my corporate job and follow my dream of cooking," said Rodriguez.
    "Before my grandma passed away she was quite ill. I was working in finance and went to see her and she thought I owned a restaurant." Rodriguez added, "I took this as a sign. Also, when I turned 30 I just had an overwhelming feeling was on the wrong path."
    Insert successful life changing decision here.
     Nida is now the commander and chief behind  "The Slide Ride," Chicago's newest food truck serving up gourmet sliders.
     According to Rodriguez, this pink playful retro truck with a barbie silhouette on the side, was born out of a passion to create delicious mini sandwiches on the go.
    Whether it's there signature Braised Short Rib and Kimchi Slider, the Mini Pork Bahn Mi, or the vegetarian Southwestern Black Bean slider, people tell them that their sliders are they best they've ever had.
    Rodriguez, who actually enjoys baking more then cooking, said, "I got into the business to cook and I do very little cooking. My chef, Josh Ramirez, does most of the actual cooking." She added, "I am the gopher running around getting supplies, answering emails and planning routes."
    Chicago's limited parking and the food truck law that states food is not to be cooked on location does have its affects on Rodriguez.
    "I really wish we could make our sandwiches fresh on site," she said.
    When asked what her greatest challenge has been since taking control of the mobile food business Rodriguez responded, "The truck itself."
    Rodriguez added, "I know nothing about cars so getting the truck fabricated, the generator working and driving a 22 foot vehicle was the biggest challenge.
    Rodriguez advises people starting out in the mobile food industry to "Anticipate that things will be harder, take longer and cost more than you anticipated." She added, "Just stick with it, be positive, and forge good relationships."
    Rodriguez admits the best thing about her job is not only meeting fellow foodies but putting the delightful gourmet dishes up to the taste test.
     Who wouldn't want to be the first to try a 'Ribeye Slider,' with thinly sliced ribeye, melted provolone, carmalized onions and creamy horseradish sauce on a pretzel roll?
    Being the top taster is most certainly a privilege, but Rodriguez's previous job in financing still haunts her when she's crunching the numbers.
    "I hate accounting and anything that has to do with a spreadsheet," said Rodriguez. "I did that for so long and I want nothing to do with it."
    In her spare time when she isn't running around looking for components for new concoctions, trying to park a 22 foot long vehicle or avoiding spreadsheets, Rodriguez takes advantage of her time to wind down from the chaos.
    "Im either dining out, wine tasting, grabbing a cocktail or watching reality T.V."
    Rodriguez recently tweeted "we r done 4 the day, just watching the kardashians."
    Beyond question, Rodriguez dedicates herself to the hottest new food truck trend slowly but surely breaking its way into Chicago.
    Food is a big part of her life and she clearly knows how to pursuit her dreams and put her heart and soul into the food and central theme of "The Slide Ride."
    So what are the future plans for the business?
    According to Rodriguez, "My own kitchen, I am renting out space now and a fleet of slide rides."
    Follow "The Slide Ride" to its destinations on twitter by going to www.twitter.com/theslideride.



No comments:

Post a Comment